5.01.2009

Where to start...

Man...I haven't blogged in so long I don't even know where to start.  Since my last post so much has happened:
v  Will had another deployment in Kentucky…I know what you are thinking, why is the Coast Guard going to Kentucky?  I asked the same question.  They drove down to a military base with the boats and they use the river to do training exercises.  Basically, a fun week with the boys firing guns!
v  During the time that Will was away my Grandpa had gotten really sick.  I had decided on a Tuesday to buy a plane ticket home for the weekend to visit him.  My dad called me at 3:00 pm on Wednesday to tell me that Grandpa had passed away.  I was heartbroken.  I was kicking myself for not going sooner.  Also, I was alone.  Will was gone and I was 2000 miles away from my family.  It was such a hard day.  I drove home from work in terrible traffic, was on hold for over an hour with the airline trying to change my flight, then home alone to pack for my 5:00 am flight.  It was awful.  Anyway, I made it home to my family.  I felt so much better once I was home.  It was really hard to process everything.  He was fine when I left 6 months ago, so to come home and have to accept that he wouldn’t be there was really difficult.  But as we were planning the services and reminiscing, I realized how selfish I was being.  He was ready.  He lived a long happy life.  He had outlived nearly all of his siblings, his wife of more than 50 years, and most of his friends.  He was a cancer survivor. He was a Father, Grandfather, Great-Grandfather, and WW2/Pearl Harbor Veteran.  When I think about all this I can understand why he was ready.  April (my oldest sister), my Dad, and me sang at the funeral.  Me, Amanda (another sister), and my cousin Amy spoke.  We read a poem called the Dash.  It talks about the date of birth and the date of death.  But it’s the dash in between that is the most important.  Amy spoke more about the Dash.  How it’s was red, white, and blue for love and service to his country, gold with fifty years of marriage, baby blue and pink with baby blankets of kids and grandkids,  and so on.  Amanda talked about how much he loved sports and some other things we remember about him.  I read the words to a song, “For Good”, from the musical Wicked.  It was a really good service.  I think we honored him well.  It was great to be home even under such sad circumstances.  I had a great time visiting family and friends. 
v  Hmmm, what’s next, oh yeah I got laid off from my job.  I don’t like to use the word fired.  It’s a very long story and I don’t feel like typing it.  I worked hard and did my best and at 4:30 last Friday my boss said “It’s not working out”.  I have tons of stories about how awful it was to work there so it’s kind of a blessing.  I have already started my job search and have a very promising opportunity that I believe is within my grasp. 
v  Oh! The weather has been fabulous!!!!  Like 90 degrees!  We are getting out every chance we get.  I’m in love with this place again.  It is gorgeous here right now.  I love it!!  Now all we need is some visitors to hang out with us.  P.S.  Camping trip on the 8th of May let us know if you want in!!
OK.  That enough for now!  I’m sorry I rambled on forever.  Have a good day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment