3.12.2010

Flashback Friday: Musical Memory





This will be my first time to do a Flashback Friday post!  I will be linking up with Mylestones!



The prompt this week is Musical Memory.
Music is and always has been such a crucial part of my life.
I have loved to sing for as long as I can remember.
My Mama and Daddy were passionate about that good ole classic country.  So naturally, I grew up knowing all the words to every Patsy Cline song.  I don't discriminate...I love most all music.  When a beautiful melody walks hand in hand with meaningful lyrics it is quite literally music to my ears.
Music stirs up memories and can bring on laughter and tears.
We use songs to mark moments in our lives...we use them as soundtracks.
My strongest musical memory is in the love of a hymn that my Daddy and I share.
How Great Thou Art
Have you heard it?  It is breathtakingly beautiful.  Tears spill from my eyes each time I hear it.  
I have sung this emotion filled hymn at more than one funeral...honored to have been asked.
The last time I did it was with Daddy at his Father's funeral.  My Grandpa had requested it a long time ago.
So, holding tight to my Daddy's hand we sang...

**O Lord my God,
When I in awesome wonder
Consider all
The works Thy Hand hath made,
I see the stars,
I hear the mighty thunder,
Thy pow'r throughout
The universe displayed;
When through the woods
And forest glades I wander
I hear the birds
Sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down
From lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook
And feel the gentle breeze;
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!
When Christ shall come,
With shouts of acclamation,
And take me home,
What joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow
In humble adoration
And there proclaim,
"My God, how great Thou art!"
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!


Hardest 2 minutes of my life.  I even screwed up the words...but no one cared.  It wasn't for those in attendance anyway.  Salty tears stream down my face even now as I think on that day.  As I think about my Daddy and my Grandpa.  That is my Musical Memory...do you have one to share?  Does music have a special place in your heart?

**How Great Thou Art 
Lyrics ~ Carl Boberg, 1859 - 1940
English Translation ~ Stuart K. Hine, 1899 - 

3 comments:

Corinne said...

Oh Kim... this gave me chills!

Jo@Mylestones said...

Oh Kim, that hymn is one of my favorites too. Then sings my soul!

It's amazing--the power of music to evoke emotion and move us back in time.

Thanks for joining in this week!

Rebekah said...

That's one of those hymns that I can barely make it through singing on any regular day; I can't imagine singing it to honor someone who truly knows now what it is like to be "home".

Glad you got to go meet some other bloggers! I missed getting to come this time; maybe some time soon you all will come south!

Post a Comment